By Regina F. Bendix,Galit Hasan-Rokem
- An exceptional number of unique, state-of-the-art essays on folklore authored through overseas experts
- Examines the practices and theoretical ways built to appreciate the phenomena of folklore
- Considers folklore within the context of multi-disciplinary issues that come with poetics, functionality, non secular perform, delusion, ritual and image, oral textuality, historical past, legislations, politics and gear in addition to the social base of folklore
- Selected via selection as a 2013 notable educational Title
Read or Download A Companion to Folklore (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology) PDF
Best folklore & mythology books
Throughout the 19th century, Lemuria was once imagined as a land that when bridged India and Africa yet disappeared into the sea millennia in the past, very like Atlantis. A sustained meditation on a misplaced position from a misplaced time, this elegantly written booklet is the 1st to discover Lemuria’s incarnations throughout cultures, from Victorian-era technology to Euro-American occultism to colonial and postcolonial India.
A pocket advisor proposing concise info at the mythology of those cultures from Abdera to Zeuxippe, together with gods, goddesses, heroes, kings and queens. major areas, comparable to Mycenae, Crete, the Augean stables and the backyard of Hesperides are indexed individually. Genealogical diagrams are supplied to assist the complicated internet of kinship relationships.
The mythical misplaced urban of southern Africa and its untold riches interested the Romans, ecu explorers and writers similar to Rider Haggard, Alan Paton, Wilbur Smith, and Lawrence eco-friendly. Even the apartheid govt looked for it in useless. Adam Cruise units out on a quest into background and around the Kalahari to discover the legendary urban that encouraged King Solomon's Mines, and 'the nice Farini', the daredevil showman of the Victorian age on the middle of the legend.
Mircea Eliade (1907–1986) was once one of many 20th century's most suitable scholars of faith and cultural environments. This ebook examines the emergence, functionality, and cost of faith and delusion in his paintings. Nicolae Babuts, Robert Ellwood, Eric Ziolkowski, John Dadosky, Robert Segal, Mac Linscott Ricketts, Douglas Allen, and Liviu Borda research Eliade's perspectives at the interplay among the sacred and the profane.
- The Mysterium: Unexplained and extraordinary stories for a post-Nessie generation
- Myth and Fairy Tale in Contemporary Women's Fiction
- Giving Voice to Bear: North American Indian Myths, Rituals, and Images of the Bear
- The Philosopher's Secret Fire: A History of the Imagination
Extra resources for A Companion to Folklore (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology)
A Companion to Folklore (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology) by Regina F. Bendix,Galit Hasan-Rokem